Drill 'n' Chill Championships 2024
February 17th, 2024 in Winter Springs, FL
Condensed Standard Operating Procedures
A. GENERAL INFORMATION
- The Drill ‘n’ Chill Championships: This event is a precursor to the Daytona Nationals and World Drill Championships. It aims to provide competitors with ample experience constructing and performing their routine in preparation for that event. Unlike most other competitions, this one will not have a strict limit on how many times you can perform a routine for a score. This is technically NOT a Drill Dojo event, but rather hosted by FLDC and promoted by the Drill Dojo. As such, use of structure, naming conventions, and associated details are permitted by others wishing to host similar events.
- Date: February 17th, 2024 from 9:00AM to 6:00 PM
Central Winds Park
1000 Central Winds Dr, Winter Springs, FL 32708
- Registration: Event registration will be at the event only. To gauge interest levels, if you're VERY committed to attending, please fill out the pre-registration form here:
C. ENTRY FEE AND INFORMATION
- Entry Fee: The general entry fee is $20 and can be paid on the day of the event. This entry fee will cover the cost of 2 runs. Each additional run will cost $5 per round. Cash, Credit Cards, Venmo, CashApp, and Zelle will be accepted at the even
- Competitor Information: Competitors wishing to compete as early as possible should arrive at 9:00AM. Here, all competitors will be briefed on the competition. After registration is complete, competitors will be given a performance order. After every driller has gone, the performance order will be reshuffled, and we’ll go again. Competitors must be present at the beginning of a round to register for the round. It is expected there will be 4 rounds throughout the day, so competitors may choose to show up later in the day and still be entered into the competition. All runs will be entered into the same competitive pool, and the highest score at 6PM (or whichever round ends shortly after that time) will be the winner.
Competitors must utilize a replica or demilitarized drill rifle weighing a minimum of 7.5 pounds. It must contain at least 1 of the following: a butt plate and/or a bolt. Bayonets are permitted for high school graduates over the age of 18.
D. DRESS AND APPEARANCE
- Full NHSDTC or WDC caliber uniforms are requested but not required.
- Due to being an outdoor event in Florida, street wear is permitted throughout the competition. However, in order to ensure that competitors receive a proper uniform score, competitors will need to show pictures of their competitive uniform and/or describe it to the judges. This ensures maximal readiness for Nationals and Worlds as well as the opportunity to receive constructive feedback on uniform decisions.
E. COMPETITIVE ROUNDS
ROUND 1: Competitors wishing to compete in Round 1 will need to be present at 9:00 AM. Competitor order will be randomized at registration. You will then have the opportunity to perform to the standards outlined at https://thenationals.net/nhsdtc/scoresheets/dt-sop-Competition.pdf under the Solo category.
ROUND 2: After Round 1, judges will be given a 30-minute break. At the end of this break, competitors wishing to perform during Round 2 will need to be present. Competition order will be randomized again. You will then have the opportunity to perform to the standards outlined at https://thenationals.net/nhsdtc/scoresheets/dt-sop-Competition.pdf under the Solo category.
ROUND 3+: After each round, judges will be given a 30-minute break. At the end of this break, competitors wishing to perform during Round X will need to be present and pay an additional $5 per round. Competition order will be randomized again. You will then have the opportunity to perform to the standards outlined at https://thenationals.net/nhsdtc/scoresheets/dt-sop-Competition.pdf under the Solo category. The event will end at or around 6:00PM. Due to the variance in number of competitors, only 2 rounds are guaranteed. Each additional round will be time dependent.
F. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- Both High School and WDC competitors will perform in the same rounds, but their scores will be separated into two pools when tallied.
- The time requirements for NHSDTC competitors is 2-3 minutes. For WDC competitors, it’s 3-5 minutes.
- NHSDTC competitors will compete in a 33 x 33 box. WDC competitors will compete in a 40 x 40 box. These will be marked in the pad.
- The winner will be determined by highest score in any individual round. Scores from each round will NOT be added together. Only an individual’s highest scoring run will be counted.
- The highest placing National’s competitor (high school student) will receive full registration fees for the solo event at the National High School Drill Team Championships. If this competitor has their fees covered by a school or will not be competing, they will receive $100 cash.
- The highest placing World’s competitor (post-high school individual) will receive full registration fees for the solo event at the World Drill Championships. If this competitor does not intend to compete, they will receive $100 cash.
H. POST EVENT DIRECTIVES
- All competitors will stay after the conclusion of the awards ceremony to help pick up.
- Once the area has been left clean, all event competitors, attendees, and spectators are invited to dinner at Gator’s Dockside. The address to the post-event dinner is: 5275 Red Bug Lake Rd, Winter Springs, FL 32708
- All people attending the dinner are responsible for their own individual bills.
APPENDIX 1: Score Sheet